What Are My Rights?
Under Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA), parents and guardians have the following rights beginning July 1, 2021:
- To inspect and review the student’s covered information
- To request from a school a paper or electronic copy of the student’s covered information
- To request corrections of factual inaccuracies contained in the student’s covered information when allowable by State or federal laws
- To request deletion of covered information when allowable by State or federal records laws
- To know which authorized software is being used in the classroom
- To provide consent to the use of authorized software as outlined in the guidelines
- To be notified by the district of a breach of covered information
Exercising Your Rights
The Student Online Personal Protection Act allows you to take specific actions to understand how your student’s covered information is managed. To request covered information maintained by a SOPPA operator for your child, please complete this form and email it to email@example.com. A parent/guardian may inspect and review only the covered information relevant to the parent’s/guardian’s student. Per ISBE rules, no more than one request under this Section may be made per state fiscal quarter (i.e. July, August, and September (Q1); October, November, and December (Q2); January, February, and March(Q3) or April, May, and June (Q4).